Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Do I Have to Look Like a Slob?

As I was choosing what to wear yesterday, I had that moment that all women have sometimes, where none of your clothes fit right or look good. You know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter what you put on, there is something "off" about it. Add to that, that I am 6 weeks post-partum and I found myself looking lumpy in clothes in a different way than ever before. Keep in mind I've always been on the chunky side; it's OK though, I've come to terms with it, it's hard to get skinny when you like ice cream so much. ;-) I do want to get *healthy*, not skinny, but that's an entirely different post. I knew that my body would be different after having a baby, but had no idea how different, it makes clothing selection even more difficult.

Which brings me to the point. How does one go about selecting modest clothes in our over-sexed, "flaunt it if you've got it" world? I put on a t-shirt yesterday that I realized, painfully, was just meant for the rag bin. It was over tight (despite being an XL) and had too low of a neck line. When you can see your bra in the back, you know it's too low! I'm not talking about every woman wearing a burka by any means; but is it really so hard to make clothes that are not meant to hug every curve of your body? What if some people don't want their curves hugged? Are we destined to wear over-large, sloppy t-shirts from the men section for the rest of our lives? (Bought a few when at the largest in my pregnancy, and I HAVE worn them since giving birth!) Or maternity clothes because at least they're loose (yep, guilty of that one too! It's nice to not feel like I'm in spandex!)?

For now, I'll wear the maternity tops I still have, until they get too big, and hope that some fashionista decides to design some clothes for those of us with after-birth bodies who don't want everyone to see what those curves look like!

1 comment:

  1. Do you go to other WordPress blogs that you can view on Opera? If so, which one and we'll see if it's a formatting issue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete