Monday, October 24, 2011

The Post Where I Muse About Figuring Out How Not to Offend People

So, we are going to be pretty strict parents when it comes to how our kids act at certain places. You know, like at Mass. Dominic is only 14 1/2 months old, but, we are already trying to get him in the habit of certain behaviors are appropriate at some places but not others. So, at Mass we try to encourage him to look forward and he has a few "Mass acceptable" toys that he can take. Sometimes Jason puts him on his shoulders and Dominic giggles some but I assume this is better than that incessant whining that would happen otherwise. The problem comes when other people decide to try to make him giggle. Dominic has this absolutely adorable habit of shaking his head no in order to get people to giggle at him. It almost always works because, like I said, he's adorable. We try to discourage it as much as we can, but what to do when the nice people behind you are doing it to him?? I mean really, what are we supposed to do? If it was a child we would say "please don't play with him during Mass". And, yes I know that we can tell an adult that, but it seems so...patronizing? Condescending? I'm not even sure the appropriate word. It drives me nuts!! That's why we try to keep him facing forward.

I know we should be thankful that people are accepting of our having kids at Mass. But, seriously, if you're sitting by us at Mass, don't try to make our kids giggle. :-|

Does this drive you nuts? Do you say anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment