Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Day After the Night SpongeBob Went Dark at the Spano Home

OK, so, since Christopher has been born I have been using DVDs way too much as a crutch to keep Dominic entertained when doing things like nursing Christopher/trying to get him down for a nap, hopping in for a quick shower, going to the bathroom, cooking dinner. I'm mostly OK with having used TV because I think that it has it's place. We like watching movies and we like SpongeBob. (I know, I have now lost all credibility with you. ;-)) But, lately we've been doing it more than I'd like. Part of it is that I like to have background noise. We don't have TV service, but the last time I did it was more for the noise then because I was "sucked in".

We have a ridiculously long living room. The way we have our furniture allowed us to use the ottoman kind of diagonally between the chair and the entertainment center thus keeping a "safe" area for Dominic and keeping him away from buttons he so desperately wanted to push. But, he climbs now.  Like this: And into things like this: So, I knew it was inevitable that he would start climbing onto the ottoman. I mean he can already climb onto the furniture, why he hasn't figured out that he can get onto the ottoman, I'm not sure, but it's only a matter of time. Also, the button pushing. Oh, the button pushing. How it pushes my buttons.

And that brings me to the entire point of this post (took a while didn't it? Well, at least there are cute pictures), we flipped the switch on the (unreachable to Dominic) power strip taking all power away from the entertainment center, but allowing us parents the ability to flip it back on when we want to have family movie night. So today has been fun. I haven't even wanted to turn it on. In the (rare) quiet moments, I've been reading out loud from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland.

SpongeBob is not out forever, I do not think that TV is evil, but it was becoming too much of a crutch, so I'm glad to have done this. I'm excited to have a good excuse to read more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment